Sunday, April 4, 2010

Bridal Portraits--GO!

Thanks to one super awesome soon-to-be uncle-in-law, Mark, I got to do some bridal portraits this past weekend. He first told me of a "vision" of a bride in a street, parking lot, urban area, thing. After first being scared of ruining my dress, he explained the vision and told me what he was thinking. I was totally game!

The entire idea of professional photography terrifies me. I have no idea how to pose, how to stand, or quite frankly, be normal. I was sitting there awkwardly holding my elbow out, standing straight while still trying to maintain a "natural" face. How do those America's Next Top Model girls do it!?

For our shoot, Mark had scoped out a bunch of cool locations, some involving me draping my dress over concrete and standing on towels to protect my train. We started in downtown Dallas, in a residential area.
The pictures would have the same out-of-focus backdrop with yours truly front and center. At this location, the weirdness started. I was completely awkward and had no idea what to do. My "sultry, come hither" look probably looked more maniacal than gorgeous. They tell me they got a good shot, so we moved on.
Enter the Stoneleigh Hotel in Dallas. Mark had me in the middle of the parking lot with the marquee in the background. Again, the awkwardness continued, but because this was no longer my novice run, I was a little better at keeping my mouth shut and focusing. We continued here for a while until the bar starting hopping and  we were run off by cars constantly coming into the parking lot.

Even though I couldn't figure out how to stand up straight, smile with my eyes, or keep a straight face, I'm really looking forward to seeing the pictures! I've never gotten my pictures professionally taken (outside of dorky school photos) so I can't say that this was too terrible for a first run.

Thankfully, Mark is a great photographer, so I probably could've been picking my nose and he would've made it look like art. We're lucky to also have him coming to our wedding, so I'm hoping he gets some great shots as a guest! 

Have you had bridal portraits? Did you keep them traditional or go a little edgy?

2 comments:

  1. No worries, Sara. Haven't forgot you. Perfection takes a little time. We think it'll be worth the wait. ;~}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well and you probably have to take a lot of time to sort through my awkward "sultry" pictures, my slouched pictures, the "not paying attention to the camera" pictures... oh, the list goes on. I'm sure you have some very interesting shots of me.

    ReplyDelete