Sunday, March 28, 2010

Quiet Drive

As I was driving back to Oklahoma, after a weekend of more wedding epicness, this song came on my iPod. Now, it may not be Cyndi Lauper, but this is the version I have on my iPod and to make it more realistic, I found you this one. Have a listen as I explain the significance.



As many of you already know, the Mister and I have had our fair share of problems and then some. We broke up, we fought, we got back together; wash, rinse and repeat. The importance is that even though we had those problems, we've learned to fight with each other. I know what not to say (or if I'm being stubborn--what TO say) to make him mad, and he knows what not to say to me. It's just one of those things. We've learned how to fight with each other, but more importantly-- how to make up.

Throughout our entire relationship, I feel like one of us has always been in a different place. Always walking ahead of the other, and the other has to wait patiently for them to hear to "slow down". There was a time when I didn't want to be with him, but he waited for me. He knew I would be back, whether I did or not. Later, it was he who thought he didn't want me, and even though I was a disaster, I waited and patiently let him be free to do what he wanted. It was only after that that we were both in the same place.

The same place where we finally know what we wanted with one another. He knew that I would be there to catch him when he fell, and that if I was lost, he would guide me through. We fight, we make up, but most of all: we love each other.

My sixteen-year-old brother was talking to me the other day over ice cream. He said he was surprised that the Mister and I had made it this far. And, honestly, I think some days we are too. It has been a rough relationship, but every road block has made us realize how to live together and love together. My brother also said he knows we'll be okay because of the fighting. My brother is wise beyond his years and it makes me feel happy that he feels we're okay. Not that his opinion would've changed mine, but to hear my brother say he knows we'll be okay means a lot to me. He may be only sixteen, but I am really close to him.

I'm glad that Trenton and I have learned how to fight and make up before we got married. We're going to be okay. We're both in the same place and I couldn't be happier.

Do you feel that songs can be a good representation of life? Did it take a while for you and your significant other to get on the same page?

No comments:

Post a Comment