Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"But, what do I do?!"

So, the decision-making has yet again taken a standstill. We've come to a stalemate. I am worried (again!) about the "etiquette" of our wedding. I would like to be able to say that I don't want to hurt people's feelings, but... let's be real.

I don't care.

It is our wedding. It reflects us- not to say we're awful people, but at some point, worrying about what other people think is too much stress. I'm starting to worry about ridiculous things that no one is ever going to remember.

You'd think I'd start to just blow things off. Not worry. But, no. My most recent freak-out regards response cards. Do I leave the "number of attendees" blank? Do I individually print cards with the number of chairs saved for them? What about telling people, "Hey, this is how many seats you get. Decide who's coming"?

I found a site saying that you can leave a "___ of ___ guest(s) attending" spot and you fill in the second blank with how many you want to come, and then they fill out the first blank with how many are coming. The site also warns that some people may find that "distasteful" but... um, what if I don't find it bad?

While I would love to invite everyone, and say "Hey, college friend- totally bring your boyfriend of two weeks to my wedding!" frankly, I can't afford it. Not only can we not afford to feed all those extra people, my venue only holds 100 people seated, and my guest list (including me, the fiance, and our photographer) is already at 110! We can't have people bringing guests and unaccounted people. We don't have the space or the finances to accommodate them.

Whining to roommate, Meghan, has not come to any sort of conclusion. Being my amazing pro-bono "wedding planner", she dutifully said "It's your wedding, do what you would like. I understand why you would need to do that. People will understand. Etc. Etc." What I needed to hear, but what I more needed to hear was from Trenton. I needed him to respond and tell me it was okay for me to limit the guests.

Also, worrying about plates and tableware. Who will remember the linens, plates, or silverware? I might, but that's because I paid for it, picked it out, and everything. Remember here, when I talked about bamboo tableware? It's awesome. Let me give you some pictures of how cute they can be!

So. Darn. Cute. And, eco-friendly! They are pretty affordable, and they have plates that match. Oh, and did I mention they are biodegradable? Which means when I throw them out, they'll decompose in the trash heap at the dump. Makes me feel better about my money. But, again... do you think people will think poorly of me because I'm not using "real" plates? Or not using china? These are the ridiculous things I'm worried about.

What do you think? Should I give up on making people happy and do what will make US happy? 

4 comments:

  1. Most of the weddings I've been to (including my own) have used disposable dishes and silverware. I've never heard a single negative comment at a wedding regarding the stuff we've been given to put our all-important food on. Feed your guests promptly and they'll be happy. ;)

    Screw the etiquette. The only people who have any idea about "wedding etiquette" are 80+ years old or have recently planned/are planning a wedding. I had a crazy moment where I almost made separate invitations for all of my cousins over the age of 16 that were still living with their parents, simply because "etiquette" demanded it. Eff that. They live at the same address. What, are they going to put 2 invitations on their shared fridge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the silverware and dishes are cute and from what I've seen of the venue, I think they fit. The museum is a nature museum so being eco-friendly works the the venue! Plus they're cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the bamboo tableware totally fits your theme/venue. Are you really going to invite someone who is going to judge you on that anyway?

    Also, as far as the guests/numbers are concerned, I think that the "___ of ___ guest(s) attending" is a fine solution. Then at least people will know if they can bring a guest or not without any of the guesswork. Besides, anyone who knows you and Trent knows that you're a young couple getting married so I would hope that they don't expect some lavish affair worthy only of Platinum Weddings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, girls! That makes me feel so much better. Literally, I was about to have a panic attack worrying about stupid stuff like this. I'm insane. Love you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete